Recycling Smarter and Other Tips To Reduce Your Footprint On Earth Day
We’ve all heard the phrase, “reduce, reuse and recycle,” but what’s equally as important is learning how to recycle right. While we have the best intentions, when life gets busy and compost bins aren’t within reach, we’ve all been known to make a bad recycling decision.
This Earth Day at Highwire, our agency is renewing our commitment to mother earth by making a pledge to reduce our footprint and to be earth-wise all year round.
Highwire SF is pledging to consume less plastic overall. Our employees are pledging to make better decisions by using the silverware in the office that can be tossed into the dishwasher, rather than using one-time plastic utensils that might come with our Monday bagel delivery.
Highwire NY is committing to educating Highwire employees, and holding themselves accountable. This means skipping the plastic bag that might come along with that to-go lunch order, and saying no to plastic knives to spread their favorite schemar. Additionally, the New York office is going to print out labels for their recycling bins to remind employees what goes into what bin.
Those Chicago winters get cold, and Highwire Chicago is pledging to pay extra attention to unplugging those life-changing space heaters when they aren’t being used. Even more, the Chicago office is going to cut down on the usage of lights when not needed, and will make sure that all electronics are unplugged at the end of the day.
Highwire Boston is trying to go without plastic as well. The team is ordering a set of silverware to cut down on the need to use plastic cutlery, and a set of stainless-steel straws to avoid reaching for a plastic straw.
Our offices will also be participating in an Earth Day event this month. Highwire SF will be joining a handful of other Bay Area PR agencies to Rock the Earth by participating in a clean up at Mountain Lake. On the other side of the country, Highwire Chicago will be participating in its annual clean up of Lincoln Park while Highwire NY will be participating in a Central Park clean-up in May. Highwire Boston has a couple initiatives to better the community. They will be holding an “office planting” event, as well as donating to a local conservation charity.
While this annual reminder is a great way to remember the importance of doing our part to protect our earth, here are a few ways you can do your part all year long:
- Choose paper or reusable straws with your iced coffee. Better yet, skip the straw all together
- Use compostable trash bags in your kitchen, like these.
- Learn how to recycle correctly— did you know that your greasy pizza box or your plastic bag should not be recycled?
- Compost paper products like paper towels, newspaper and tissues
- Participate in “Meatless Monday.” Just one ¼ lb. of beef requires 425 gallons of water to produce
- Reduce food waste: learn how to properly chop vegetables to maximize what you are using
- Use reusable mugs, bring them with you to Starbucks and get a discount.
- Turn off lights you’re not using and when you leave the room. Replace incandescent light bulbs with compact fluorescent or LED ones.
- Eat organic food, and food from local farms that aren’t using pesticides (talk to your farmers, at places like Green City Market in Chicago!) It has been estimated that 13% of U.S. greenhouse gas emissions result from the production and transport of food.
What will you be doing to reduce your own footprint this year?